History of the Booker T. Washington Center
In 1923, a group of black citizens interested in the welfare of the black race felt the urgent need of a community center in Erie, Pennsylvania and on January 2, of the year created an organization to achieve that goal. The members of the organizational committee were Harry C. Thompson, the Reverend H. Price, Sallie M. Parker, Doctor Clarence Cheeks, Juanita Cheeks, Effie Baxter, and Charles Franklin. Later that year, Frances Purdy and the Reverend P. C. Childs were added to this group. This body, with Mr. Thompson as its first president, formed the original Board of Directors of the institution to be known as the Community Center. Later that year, on September 11, 1923, the name of the institution was changed to the Booker T. Washington Center.
Mercyhurst College at the Booker T. Washington Center makes starting a college education affordable and accessible to members of the Erie community who may have not otherwise felt college was attainable.
The Center offers students a total of 60 credits per year or three classes per term. Students can choose to take up to 27 credits before transferring the credits to any of the Mercyhurst branches or to another college.A discounted tuition rate is offered and financial aid is available to those who qualify.
Click on the Mercyhurst College Image to access more information.